Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thinking Outside the Bun...er..Box

This is hell.  And this.  And this one fa'real.

First, let me admit that Estelle would have been my first target.*sigh of relief*  Feels great to get that off my chest.  Now, Sartre creates hell in an unassuming room with a situation of discomfort.  This discomfort was extreme enough to get a person to kill another.  Well, at least try to.  Everybody in the room was uncomfortable with strangers around because they knew an infinity together would mean letting them in on their secret insecurities.  I guess, in summation, I'm saying that Sartre's uncomfortable hell is the lack of self-acceptance which is also the limit of our thinking because we become preoccupied or stubborn.  Sartre's hell can be escaped on one's own up to a point where self-improvement becomes reversal of introduced qualities, but it is easier when there is somebody judging you.  Simply put, you can't please everybody.  That's why you need self-acceptance.  The "escapability" can be seen when the door opens for Garcin.

Plato's hell is inescapable without the imposition of an outer influence.  That influence can be a new idea or a teacher.  It doesn't matter.  But the way he sets the allegory up like a jail makes it clear that you don't get out on your own.

What confuses me still is the signifance of the bronze ornament in "No Exit."  Garcin touches it everytime he's being reflective.

Input? Pretty please with assorted toppings?

7 comments:

  1. "Sartre's uncomfortable hell is the lack of self-acceptance which is also the limit of our thinking because we become preoccupied or stubborn."<- I really liked this concept. Sarte says that people is hell but really it is oneself that is hell. "We are our own worst enemy" is really what kills us. Estelle fooled around and that is what got her sent to Hell. As for the bronze ornament, I haven't a clue either ;(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt-Q, I really love the way you can incorporate humor into your ideas--which are very good, intelligent ideas, too. Your "No Exit" concepts are excellent, and I really wish I had gotten to see yours earlier. I didn't even give much thought to the judgement and self-improvement...until now.
    Oh, (and Feli too), I'd like to know about the bronze dealio, too...But when Matthew said he touched it while he was being reflective...and it was the only thing that was somewhat reflective in the room...so, yeah. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could it be? Was the answer there and blatantly obvious? #overthinking. Thanks, Kellifer (as long as we're going by nicknames).

      Delete
  3. The self-acceptance part of your analysis was very insightful. Reflection seems to be a key part of the entire thing (Inez's creepy "look into my eyes" speech comes to mind) so you're probably right about the bronze ornament's purpose. Occam's razor, I guess. In addition to that, I think it might represent the perceived helplessness of the characters. The valet notes in the beginning that it is too heavy to move, so Garcin cannot use it to smash a lamp (or, cannot use it to smash his perception of hell?). That begs the question, why does Garcin need it to smash a lamp in the first place? It adds to the irony that the characters are so focused on forcing their way out or outwitting their "captors", but don't realize they can simply walk out at any time. Maybe. Or I could over thinking this as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light of the lamp could definitely be symbolizing what they are perceiving so I agree with you on that. Also, thanks for using Occam's razor in your comment. I had never heard that before but it's much more elegant to say that than explain the idea it represents.
      I don't think they could just walk out because the passage just led to other doors with what I would imagine to be other people's hells. Plus, Inez says it's gotten ten times hotter since Garcin opened the door so...Sartre's hell is still kind of fire and brimstone but more like broken A/C system?

      Delete
  4. Matt, I really think you know me well enough by now to know what I am going to say before I say it. BUT I'M STILL GONNA SAY IT! (Because I'm a rebel!! Not really, but let's pretend I am, okay?) You are the first person I have come across that has linked the concept of self-acceptance/self-improvement to the cave which made this all the more interesting, especially since I like to consider myself pretty knowledgeable in things relating to the cave. As for the bronze ornament, I think the significance of the ornament is relating to how bronze is typically considered to be sub-par in comparison to the much shinier gold. Remember that Garcin was always attempting to appear to be "golden" (see what I did there?) in comparison to everyone else when really he was only compensating his sub-par self-image, therefore making him like bronze. That was just my interpretation though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't that sure about using self-acceptance in my analysis but Colleen validated my idea accidentally when she mentioned it in class today.
      Btw, your input is "golden" too. See what I did there?

      Delete