Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Life is a Highway to Hell

That's not what I got from Jean Paul Sartre's "No Exit."  Actually, the title of this post is a nod to something hellish to my tastes.  The song Highway to Hell and all other songs similar to hair metal.  I haven't heard them all so, for now, I think it's an evil genre of music.

1.  Since I grew up watching cartoons fairly often, there were inevitably scenes depicting hell.  Cow and Chicken comes to mind.  These cartoons had nothing to compete with since the mass I was attending at the Catholic church was designed for us grade school kids to mope through without too much violent imagery (besides the holy man nailed to beams above us.) Anyway, my image of hell is burnt to a crisp.  There are casual flames spouting from the purple/maroon ground.  Come to think of it... it's lonely.  I guess that's what little me was afraid of.  That's what hell would be, right?  A place where all your greatest fears exist in harmony.  Your mind would be in hell, even if your body were unscathed.  I'm sure any human would go insane living in Sartre's hell.  Even if we didn't need the sleep or other worldly necessities, the boredom and aggravation would be too much for the mind to accept.

2.  Hell, like I said, would be a place that we are afraid of.  Whether that place be mental, emotional, or physical is irrelevant because anything without moderation would be something to fear. Squidward's hell

3.  The dialogue was almost the only thing here so the clarity of the image in my head is unexpected.  I had to look up second empire furniture though.  The sense of place he creates in the dialogue is a place of frustration.  Being in a room you don't like with people you like even less is the pits.  The idea of staying awake for eternity is similarly the pits because I don't even like staying up through calculus class.  If I only had math and econ classes or they extended hours past anything humane, that would be hell.  Garcin seems apprehensive and unwilling to believe that hell could be so simple to create.  He expected torture devices made of metal, not fainting couches and an arrogant French woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment