Tuesday, October 23, 2012

To Facebook or Not to Facebook

When I first got an account on Facebook, I was childish.  The reason I signed up at all was because everybody else had one and I thought I should do it to remain at speed with my peers.  I first got there and the most common thing to do was find funny pages to like.  The benefits of having one were that I could talk to my peers online even though we could talk through text and collaboration on homework projects.  I've never found a group that actually did their work while on Facebook.
The benefit of sharing a name with a popular character is that my name doesn't get flung up on to the screen when you search it.  It's the same letters but really, they're not looking for me.  The risk of Facebook still exists, however, because I show my life on there (not that I've updated recently).
After having read the article, I have raised the wool from over my eyes.  I won't be thinking like a sheep in a flock believing that a big company can't do bad because that's argumentum ad hominem.  They just want the money and they know that kids will continue to use it as long as it stays relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment